Saturday, February 28, 2015

A Science Fiction/Fantasy Tour de Force through the Catholic Calendar


The Book of Feasts and Seasons by John C. Wright: A Review


     John C. Wright has a habit of writing books that make you think. He is also, to my mind at least, one of those authors who is a master of the short story. Truly, there is nothing better than a well crafted short story to stir the imagination.
     The Book of Feasts and Seasons is a collection of ten short stories that take you through a themed tour of the Catholic Liturgical Calendar. From New Years Day to Easter to Christmas day and points in between, the themed short stories contained therein are a joy.
     I am not one for spoilers, so I will give some impressions of my favorites.
     First, there is The Parliament of Beasts and Birds. In a fashion, that to me was evocative of C.S. Lewis, Mr. Wright takes you on a delightful tour outside the final city of Man as the animals of the earth gather to find out Man's fate and discover a fate of their own. In fact, to whet your appetite, here is a link to the short story from Mr. Wright's publisher. Go and read and I guarantee you will be intrigued.
     Second, there is Nativity, which finally explores a time travel theme I have thought about quite a bit in my life. Searching for one thing but finding out what he needs to hear. This quote says a lot about it.
He said to me, “Lost lamb, if you were the only man alive, the only one who had ever sinned, and every other Son of Adam had remained pure and upright, it would all have been done for you. For you the child was born. For you he lives and dies. For you.”

     This collection will hold interest for both lovers of speculative fiction and Christian readers, But foremost is the fact that John C. Wright makes you think and draws you into his worlds. I know that if you purchase this book that you will not be disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment