Saturday, February 22, 2014

Sketches for an Anglo-Saxon themed chess set

I had this idea to create a chess set with the pieces themed on Anglo-Saxon designs.

I am working on the designs for the individual pieces right now. I plan on spending this weekend finishing the rough piece designs.

Any blank spaces on my pieces, will probably be filled with designs that wrap the piece, but I feel it will be easier to work on those on the actual piece seeing as how they will wrap around.

God willing, I will finish the king, queen, bishop and rook this weekend.

As I finish each piece, I will place a sketch photo here. These are rough sketches and will be subject to change and addition as I go forward. I expect the finished product to look somewhat different as my hands and mind work it all out into a finished product.

Once I have my piece designs done, I will be buying a new wood carving set (my old one got lost in moving at some point). Then I plan on starting to carve each piece and I will have individual posts for each.

Stay tuned here this weekend as I post new images as I finish them and feel free to leave feedback.

Update: 2/22/14, 10:05 am. Queen proving harder than anticipated. Moving on to the Bishop and Rook.
Update: 2/22/14, 11:40 am. Bishop sketch finished.
Update: 2/22/14, 2:00 pm. Rook finished.
Update: 2/22/14, 2:20 pm. Officially brain dead for the day. Will work on Queen tomorrow while fresh.
Update: 2/23/14, 10:10 am. Finished the Queen sketch.

I finished the sketch for a pawn on Monday.
We had a  2 hr. class at work on soft starters. I am bad about doodling while people are talking (although I am still listening, honest) This was where my mind was going on the set.
I was satisfied with the rough design of the knight.

The King. (Based somewhat on a medieval illuminated manuscript drawing of Alfred the Great)

Bishop

Rook, based on a Mead Hall/Great Hall





No comments:

Post a Comment